These little pots are layered with a base of cherry jam then a layer of cinnamon cherry bakewell nicecream and topped with a delicious crumble.
Fresh or frozen cherries would work well for the smoothie and the jam. The juices from the frozen cherries will melt down as you heat them to make the jam and will incorporate well.
The jam is only a matter of ingredients that take little time to come together. Cinnamon and lemon help to elevate the flavors and keep it tart to balance the sweetness of the nicecream.
The crumble is based off the topping in my apple pie overnight oats recipe, but if you’re really feeling indulgent you can use a basic crumble recipe (flour/oats, butter, sugar).
These would be great to prepare ahead of time for a get-together or serve for dessert! You could store them in the freezer after prepping if you are going to eat them within a few hours. Cherries are one of my favorite summer fruits and they make smoothies and desserts that much better. Enjoy!
Cherry Bakewell Crumble Smoothie Bowl
- For the jam:
- 2 cups sweet frozen or fresh (with pits removed, if fresh) cherries
- 2 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- For cherry bakewell smoothie:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cherries
- 2-3 frozen bananas
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- For the crumble:
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2-3 tbsp oats
- 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, room temp.
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- Step 1 Rinse the sweet cherries.
- Step 2 Pit the cherries, using a cherry pitter or a knife.
- Step 3 Place the pitted cherries in a pot and cook over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes, until they soften.
- Step 4 Use a potato masher to mash the cooked cherries.
- Step 5 Allow to cool in the fridge while you prepare the smoothie.
- Step 6 Rinse and pit cherries if you’re using fresh cherries.
- Step 7 Combine all in a blender, adding more liquid as needed.
- Step 8 Combine all ingredients for the crumble, covering dry ingredients well with coconut oil.
- Step 9 Microwave for 15-20 seconds.
- Step 10 Let rest in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to harden.