Oatmeal is a versatile and nutritious option for breakfast. It’s one of my favorite go-to’s whether it’s cooked on the stove or thrown together for overnight oats. When you add cocoa powder to it? It’s even better because who doesn’t love chocolate? I came up with this recipe during the cold months of winter while I was in crunch time for school. It’s great fuel for those long mornings and is just as good in the warmer months.
In my opinion, chocolate makes everything better especially when you’re stressed. Adding pumpkin and spices makes it that much better. I highly recommend adding some peanut butter on top, but that’s just me. This oatmeal is oh so creamy and practically tastes like dessert which is a great way to start your morning.
The banana adds some natural sweetness while making it even creamier! I’d suggest keeping it to 1/4 or 1/2 as it is rather sweet to begin with. You could even omit it and add some maple syrup or coconut sugar. I have yet to test this as overnight oats but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work just as well and keep the pumpkin pie satisfaction.
My favorite toppings for this are peanut butter–as mentioned–cherries and some granola for crunch. It’s really the ultimate oatmeal! Post below your favorite oatmeal toppings and enjoy!
The Ultimate Chocolate Pumpkin Oats
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4-1/2 banana mashed
- Step 1 Bring 1 cup of non-dairy milk to a boil in a saucepan
- Step 2 Stir in the 1/2 cup of oats and let cook for 1 minute
- Step 3 Add in pumpkin and banana and cook until soft
- Step 4 Finally, stir in the cocoa powder and mix until combined
- Step 5 Top with fresh berries and peanut butter