Summer makes me think of lemonade, fresh fruit, and in my opinion one of the best pies there is: Lemon Meringue. How do you veganize something that is full of dairy and eggs? There’s a secret ingredient which I’ve always been skeptical of until I tried it for myself. Aquafaba! It’s been making headlines and popping up in several recipes across the internet, but it really is a gamechanger and you do not taste it at all when using it in baking.
This recipe combines the light and airy texture of meringue with the ever-so-creamy thickness of lemon curd. I’ve also tried this with lime and it really hits the mark for key lime pie.
To get it just right you’re going to need a few key ingredients. Fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, cornstarch (I’ve also seen bloggers use xantham gum and/or agar-agar), and thick coconut milk. You’ll need full-fat otherwise it won’t achieve the same thickness or creaminess and it won’t hold together when setting in the fridge.
For presentation, I did dollops of the meringue around the edge of the pie. However, for ultimate creaminess, I’d highly recommend spreading that wonderful meringue across the entire pie. You could even bake a few to save as cookies! the first bite is truly the best. You get the tartness from the lemon with the perfect amount of sweetness and the light and airy meringue really hits the spot!
Do you prefer lemon or lime pie? Meringue on pie or as cookies? Let me know in the comments below 👇Tag your creations with #messyvegan!
Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie
- For the lemon curd: 1 can coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Grated zest of one lemon
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the meringue: 1/3 cup aquafaba
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Step 1 Make sure to prebake your pie crust! I used a store-bought vegan safe one, but you can follow whatever your favorite recipe is for the crust.
- Step 2 Lemon curd: Combine milk and cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Step 3 Pour into a heated saucepan and continue whisking and cooking over medium heat until it starts to bubble, this will take about five minutes.
- Step 4 Add syrup or sugar of choice, lemon zest and juice. Continue to cook, whisking until it thickens, about 3-5 mins.
- Step 5 You’ll know when it’s done if it is no longer runny when you run a spoon through it!
- Step 6 Transfer to a bowl and let cool in the fridge as you make the meringue.
- Step 7 Meringue: In mixer bowl, combine aquafaba, sugar, and cream of tartar
- Step 8 Set mixer speed to low and beat for 2 minutes.
- Step 9 Turn speed up to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Step 10 Set to highest speed and beat mixture until fluffy and peaks form, about 4 to 6 minutes. It will have a similar texture to marshmallow fluff.
- Step 11 Spread lemon curd in an even layer in pie shell.
- Step 12 Let set for up to 3 hours or until firm
- Step 13 Top with meringue. With torch at full blast, holding it 2 to 3 inches from the surface, toast the top of the meringue until golden brown – or broil in the oven on the top shelf.
- Step 14 Serve immediately!