These cookies came about after having and then dreaming about the no- sugar-added vegan chocolate chip cookies from Whole Foods. They were my treat during finals of my last term of grad school. I would grab one on the way home and warm it up in the microwave till it was warm enough to pull apart and super gooey.
However, this version is most definitely not no-sugar-added as dark coconut sugar is what makes them shine. The coconut sugar allows for a golden caramel flavor to come through which really highlights the cocoa chips.
Sifting the flour helps to not only measure more evenly, but it also makes combining the dry ingredients easier. Not to mention it creates much more fluffy cookies. Don’t have a sifter? Check out an easy way to aerate your flour here.
Of course, every good cookie recipe needs some fat. My go-to for vegan butter is Earth Balance, especially because they now come in stick version which is fantastic for baking. I’ve seen many recipes use oil instead, but I really think this creates a nice thick, ultra soft, classic chocolate chip cookie.
If you’re going to have that ultra indulgent treat, you need it to be a soft, huge, buttery, vanilla-y, rich chocolate chip cookie that you remember from childhood, right? This cookie will take that memory to the next level.
We aren’t trying to make a sensible, healthier version of that cookie. No, because you deserve this treat and some days just call for baking cookies. Everybody deserves a cookie! This is that time for these soft, bricks of chocolate chunks and buttery dough that calls for a glass of your favorite non-dairy milk and perhaps a second or third or fourth cookie.
Best Ever Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) vegan butter
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup packed coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg replacer (flax or chia works well)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (chocolate chunks work best)
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350F
- Step 2 Using a stand mixer or electric beaters, beat the butter with the sugars until creamy. Add the vanilla and the flax egg
- Step 3 beat on low speed until just incorporated – 10-15 seconds or so
- Step 4 Add the sifted flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until crumbles form. Use your hands to press the crumbles together into a dough (somewhere in between wet and dry dough)
- Step 5 Add the chocolate chips and incorporate with your hands
- Step 6 Form 12 balls with your hands and place onto greased cookie sheet
- Step 7 Bake for 9-11 minutes, depending on how cooked you prefer (I recommend watching till they’re golden and puff, do not overbake!)
- Step 8 Let rest for 30 mins (but really eat 3 or 4 when they’re hot, we don’t judge here) to allow them to cool into buttery dense cookies.
- Step 9 Store in an airtight container to keep them soft
What’s your go-to cookie of choice? Let me know in the comments below!