On hot summer mornings, you don’t always want dense, warm porridge or even your go-to overnight oats. Some days you just want all of the fruit because the heat and humidity is too much. This chia pudding will do the trick and provide plenty of protein and nutrients to kickstart the day.
This recipe only calls for a handful of ingredients and it could be made the night before or day of! Other than the toppings–which we will get to–the pudding can be elevated by blending after soaking. This creates a creamier texture which I have found to be a game changer.
Let’s talk non-dairy milk choices. Really, any of them work well especially the longer you soak and if you decide to blend. However, I have found it to be creamier if you use a higher fat milk like coconut milk. My go-to is usually soy milk because it is so versatile but really it is up to you.
Chia seeds are truly a powerhouse. Here’s a few facts:
A one-ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDI.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDI.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDI.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDI.
- They also contain a decent amount of zinc, vitamin B3 (niacin), potassium, vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B2.
Almond butter and maple syrup pair so well together for this dish. The maple notes highlight the nuttiness of the almonds making it oh-so-satisfying.
Would it be chia pudding if you didn’t put granola on top? Chia pudding always calls for toppings. Almond butter, coconut yogurt, bananas, and granola are just some of my favorites. I’ve recently discovered a coconut-based granola from whole foods that honestly works so well for this. It has maple and caramel hints that make you want to pour just a little bit more on for those last few bites. What are you go-to toppings for chia pudding or smoothie bowls? Enjoy!
- 2tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of choice (soy or coconut milk works best)
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp almond butter
- Step 1 Combine all together in a bowl or jar
- Step 2 Whisk or shake together
- Step 3 Let rest for up to 8hrs, if you’re in a rush 10-15mins works just as well
- Step 4 Blend if desired
- Step 5 Serve with your favorite toppings