Oh tacos, how I love you. You go great with just about anything, are great finger food, heck you don’t even need a plate and can fix just about anything.
All jokes aside, tacos are great for meal prepping and a quick dinner during a busy weekday. It’s really just a matter of throwing together your favorite protein, veggies, and spices. If you mix the right ingredients you can even pack a punch in nutrition and taste.
These always call for guacamole, which is another avenue to up the taste. I’ve mixed it up with grilled pineapple, fresh cilantro, some Tajin seasoning, and lime. There are so many great ways to play around with it as a topping! Even just your basic mashed avocado with some pico de gallo will do just as well.
Refried beans are my protein choice for this recipe because of how easy they are to make from scratch or heat up from a can. Even from scratch it only takes a matter of minutes and you can keep them low fat!
I always have fresh cilantro growing in my kitchen which must be added in abundance to my salsa and guacamole. I’ve started growing fresh herbs in my kitchen and it’s honestly a game-changer for my recipes. Plus, the fresh herbs you get from the store tend to go bad within a matter of days.
To top it all off is a variation from my tofu tacos recipe. The cilantro crema from that recipe is kicked up a few notches with green chilies and lime.
Chili Lime Tacos
- 1 can refried beans (from-scratch recipe below)
- 1-2 avocados (for guacamole)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp Tajin seasoning
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 sprigs of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 6-9 tortillas of choice
- For crema:
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 tbsp green chilies depending on taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1-2 tsp of water, if needed
- Step 1 For refried beans:
- Step 2 Place can of drained and rinsed pinto or black beans into a can
- Step 3 Squeeze in juice of 1 lime, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a few tablespoons of water
- Step 4 Let simmer and roughly mash
- Step 5 Guacamole:
- Step 6 Dice tomato, onion, and finely chop cilantro
- Step 7 Mash together with lime juice and tajin seasoning
- Step 8 Crema:
- Step 9 Combine avocado, lime, green chilies, and tsp of water into blender
- Step 10 Blend until desired consistency, adding more water if needed
- Step 11 Tacos:
- Step 12 Assemble with desired toppings and serve over warmed tortillas
What’s your must-have addition for taco Tuesday? Let me know what spices or veggies you would add!